This tourist destination of cultural and historical wealth is located in the eastern highlands of the Santa Cruz Department. It is one of the mega-biodiversed tourist areas, which is combined with the extraordinary cultural construction of the Jesuit Missions.
This tourist destination of great cultural, historical and natural wealth, is located in the mountains of the Brazilian Shield in the Department of Santa Cruz. Including the route of the Jesuit and Franciscan missions departing from the Chiquitania and Guarayos, to venture into the territory of Beni with the missions of San Ignacio de Moxos y Loreto.
The Chiquitano dry forest, the Pantanal and the transition forest of the Noel Kemp Mercado National Park, make a mega bio-diversed tourist area, which is combined with the extraordinary cultural construction of the Jesuit Missions where the communities Chiquitanas, Moxeñas, Guarayas and Ayoresos form a multicultural mosaic of great identity and touristic value.
In pre-Columbian times, in the Chiquitos region, several jungle tribes who were evangelized by the missionaries of the Society of Jesus prospered, rising Spanish towns amid a dense jungle. These missions were known as Chiquitanas and founded between 1691 and 1767.
Its value is mainly manifested in the architecture of their temples mestizo baroque styled, decorated with wall paintings, gilded altars and beautiful gilded wood altarpieces, pulpits, drawers and impressive columns.
The high artistic level and deep cultural significance of the works in the Jesuit missions, led UNESCO to declare them in 1991 as Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
The richness of Baroque music, composed and executed in the missions constitute an unique collection in America, which has given place to the International Biennial Festival of Renaissance and Baroque Music "Misiones de Chiquitos", held in Santa Cruz and mission towns.
San Javier hosted a music school and a workshop for the manufacture of musical instruments. The baroque church was declared a National Monument and Historic Heritage of Humanity.
CONCEPCIÓN DE CHIQUITOS
A town that has preserved the simplicity and tranquility of its streets, it is known for its amazing variety of orchids.
SAN IGNACIO DE VELAZCO
Is the largest town of the missionary route. In this beautiful land nearby communities still keep alive the traditions.
Located 40 km. from San Ignacio. Stairs built in 1760 allow a better appreciation of the mission buildings.
Was an important center of missionary outreach, located on the Gaubys riverside.
Was one of the last Chiquitana missions. The church, built by the indigenous population, has a country feel with its small dimensions compared to the others.
SAN JOSE DE CHIQUITOS
Is the only mission set built in stone.
COMMUNITY ENTREPRENEURSHIP ‘LA YUNGA’
This enterprise is located in the department of Santa Cruz in the province of Ichilo in the town of Buena Vista in the "Amboró National Park".
Services: shelter, transportation, local guides, meals, visits to sites of natural interest.
COMMUNITY ENTREPRENEURSHIP ‘LA CHONTA’
This enterprise is located in the department of Santa Cruz in the province Ichilo in the municipality Buena Vista in the community La Chonta.
Shelter, transportation, local guides, meals, visits to sites of natural interest, camping area, horseback riding.
COMMUNITY ENTREPRENEURSHIP ‘ASOCIACIÓN DE ECOTURISMO COMUNITARIO DEL AMBORÓ “VILLA AMBORÓ”’
This enterprise is located in the department of Santa Cruz in the province Ichilo, in the town of Buena Vista in the community of Villa Amboró.
Services: camping area (dining room, showers, kitchen, tents), guide service.